Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Jellyfish





A scan of some sketches I did as well as images of jellyfish, chosen for different qualities.

My overall aim is to create a clean tile with subtle surface lighting changes via a soft curve. This is of course a simple fact--but nonetheless: the proximity of the curve to the light(s) inside will create a change in the intensity of the glow (think spherical paper lamp).

An important detail I want to introduce however, is the "strip light" sort of effect seen in the jellyfish below. This is made possible due to the "embedded" nature of the glowing parts in their physical structure.

As seen in the sketches, the sections show that it is possible to vary the thickness of the slip through the use of "pockets." The only problem is that in the way I'm designing, regardless of how I flip/design the mold, in order for the effect I want, the rough side of the plaster(exposed to air) will always be the surface. I'm hoping I can figure out some way to keep it smooth.

Could the clip be pressed with another mold from behind? Also, what was that bit you mentioned in earlier classes about tricks in the firing process regarding paper fibers that evaporate and the ceramic aggregate that helps maintain the shape? I feel like those may be a way to introduce volume or voids in the material that may prove useful.


Thank you,
Won

No comments:

Post a Comment