Wednesday, September 22, 2010


Building on the previous framework for tessellation, four tiles here aggregate with four different relationships.

I'm thinking that mounting can be accomplished similarly to how a christmas tree stand holds a christmas tree - a collar on the underside around the inner void (which plunges in about two and half inches) of the tiles could hold small bolts that tighten until they firmly hold the tile.

I am now investigating how I can use our available tools to my advantage in creating toolpaths. This is creating a back-and-forth with the level and form of the relief on the surface. A few quick examples that I ran to understand issues of scale of the tools, etc.

While this is not exactly what I'm hoping to achieve (and it's messy because I wasn't cleaning up my custom tool paths after contouring my mesh), the result made me think of trefoil knots. Since we're casting the inverse of the ball of the tool, I've been thinking about what we can achieve with long rope-like paths - I am going to try one custom path breaking the form into sections with different orientations to see if I can give it a knot-like feeling, though I'm hoping to get something more fined grained. Another feature I'm looking to exploit is the ability to create deep and thin creases or valleys since the ball of the mill can glide easily up each side of the negative.


Experimenting to see how fine a resolution I could hope for, I came up with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment